Wednesday, January 31, 2024

UPDATING THE ADVANCEMENT OF MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY IN MY BODY -END OF OUR GEORGIA HONEYMOON.






My husband and I began searching for our dream home right after selling our Miami house. We were looking to invest the profits from that sale into a forever home in Georgia. We wanted a spacious, single-story house with two or three large bathrooms, including a master bathroom that would be easy for me to access with my rollator. Our search was focused on Cherokee County, the only county that offered a school tax exemption to homeowners aged 65 or older.

Our realtor, Steve, took us to see properties in various cities in Cherokee County for about a month and a half, but none of them caught our interest. We had fallen in love with the huge houses in Lake Arrowhead, particularly one located at the top of a hill at the end of a steep slope. It had over 3,000 square feet of living space divided into three levels. Two floors, featuring four bedrooms, three and a half bathrooms, a separate dining room, a large living room and kitchen area; a double garage, and a large elevated wooden deck.

Although we knew it was crazy, we couldn't resist the charm of the house and decided to buy it, even though it was too big for our needs and difficult to access.

A bad decision that cost us time, tears, and money, because as I wrote in my preview post 'A costly lesson':(https://diagnosedwithmusculardystrophy.blogspot.com/2019/07/a-costly-lesson.html)

"Winters in north Georgia were not the mild refreshing temperatures we had created in our minds, they could be very harsh, especially when it rains and the air gets below 32 degrees Fahrenheit at the surface, thus creating ice. Yes, the very fearful black ice! 

I also started to notice that the cooler the temperature got OUTSIDE, the stiffer I would get; no matter how warm it was inside the house my personal thermostat was set by the external temperatures. Another great fear we experienced in 'our mansion' was realizing that when we lost electricity, we could not use the elevator so I would be left practically trapped in the house." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

UPDATING THE ADVANCEMENT OF MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY IN MY BODY -END OF OUR GEORGIA HONEYMOON.

My husband and I began searching for our dream home right after selling our Miami house. We were looking to invest the profits from that sal...