Monday, July 29, 2019

A COSTLY LESSON



Tags:home accessibility, weather sensitivity, neighborhood remoteness impact



After my husband retired, we moved to Georgia. What attracted us was that the prices of homes were far less than in Florida, and in some counties the property taxes also were favorable to senior residents.   

We chose to live in a charming remote community in north Georgia none the less! It was surrounded by mountains with romantic steep streets twisting and turning among the woods. We found this huge house at the top of a hill -4 bedrooms/3 1/2 baths- which was being foreclosed so we bought it! Its three levels required that we install an elevator. It was an outrageous expense for us but we were sure that the beauty of the place was worthy of it. From our deck we could see how the Appalachians Mountains meet the Blue Ridge. We were sure we had found our dream home.

Until, reality woke us up from that dream. Winters in north Georgia were not the mild refreshing temperatures we had created in our minds, they could be very harsh, especially when it rains and the air gets below 32 degrees Fahrenheit at the surface, thus creating ice. Yes, the very fearful black ice!

I also started to notice that the cooler the temperature got OUTSIDE, the stiffer I would get; no matter how warm it was inside the house my personal thermostat was set by the external temperatures. Another great fear we experienced in 'our mansion' was realizing that when we lost electricity, we could not use the elevator so I would be left practically trapped in the house.   I have to say, that Amicalola, the company providing our electrical service was great and seldom went without current.

The greatest downside of our 'nest in the mountains' was its remoteness, due to which, public transportation in our community was nearly unheard of, much less special transportation services. I had been recommended to get 'aquatic therapy' and because of the problems with transportation I went without it.

I think that because of the lack of the necessary therapy my ability to walk decreased causing me to fall easily; within 5 years I became wheelchair dependent.

At this point we decided to move back to Florida. My experience with our beautiful house in the mountains taught me that although many things seem to be a lot of fun, those suffering disabilities should:

*Get on time the therapies service recommended as well as the durable medical equipment needed

* If possible, avoid living in a remote area

* Try to live in a house with no stairs

* Be aware that cold weather could affect you.

ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE TO READ:

https://www.redfin.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-home-accommodations-for-persons-with-disabilities

https://www.unpakt.com/blog/7-moving-tips-for-people-with-disabilities/

http://www.home-healthcare-adaptations.ie/

 

LOOKING BACK

I often think that I should had pursue doing the aquatic therapy




No comments:

Post a Comment

UPDATING THE ADVANCEMENT OF MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY IN MY BODY -END OF OUR GEORGIA HONEYMOON.

My husband and I began searching for our dream home right after selling our Miami house. We were looking to invest the profits from that sal...