Monday, July 29, 2019

BECOMING 'DISABLED'


TAGS:special transportation, ADA-accessible-transportation

The muscular dystrophy caused by Miyoshi Myopathy to my body, progressed year by year.   Some 6 years after been diagnosed with muscular dystrophy I could notice a big difference: It was hard for me to get up from sitting, I could not walk without my walker-rollator and I got tired easily.  I started thinking about giving up one of my jobs.

I also knew my days of being able to drive were coming to an end. I had to lift my leg with my hands in order to use the brakes. My husband kept telling me I should quit driving, but it was a hard pill for me to swallow because I knew that doing so, I was giving up my freedom to go places. Finally, the responsible part of my person helped me understand that if I kept driving I was endangering not only myself but other people as well, and I did not have the right to do so. So with pain in my heart I gave up my car's key.   

It was time for me to enroll in 'special transportation'.  

Many of my friends urged me to ask God to reverse my illness. I asked them to instead, help me pray for the miracle of finding a cure for Muscular Dystrophy because I think it is the children affected by MD who get their lives felled too early.

People used to tell me I was an inspiration, I did not understand why. I already lived life, had my beautiful children, even…, married twice! I was still able to do my home chores, I swept and mop the floors as usual, I cooked,  I did not have any problem taking showers, getting dressed, brushing my teeth. The thought of one day not being able to perform those normal tasks never crossed my mind.

At that time we lived in Miami, Florida. A dear friend of mine, a lady in her eighties told me about Special Transportation Services in Miami Dade, she even gave me their phone number. I called and asked them how I could get the service. They sent me an application. Soon after I send it back I was given an interview during which my photo was taken. Few days or weeks later I don't remember now, I received my member card.

STS provided me fantastic services at very low cost.  Unfortunately my husband and I decided to move to Georgia. It so happened that the county we moved to did not have that kind of services. This reduced my independence significantly. 

ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE TO READ:


LOOKING BACK:
Should I have paid more attention to the special needs my illness was pushing me into?

No comments:

Post a Comment

UPDATING THE ADVANCEMENT OF MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY IN MY BODY -END OF OUR GEORGIA HONEYMOON.

My husband and I began searching for our dream home right after selling our Miami house. We were looking to invest the profits from that sal...